Thursday, January 21, 2010

My First Ukay Ukay Experience

Posted by Alei at 1/21/2010

What commodities here in our country that have not increased in prices? With almost everything skyrocketing, Filipinos still try to budget their money for basic goods and at least salt away a few pesos for the future. (If only prices can be affected by earth’s gravity, then costs would never be a problem haha.)

Ukay ukay has been the haven to people who wants to satiate the fashionistas in them. Why buy something pricey when you can buy designer labels in discounted prices? However, there are still advantages when saving up for something.

Yesterday, I tagged along my bf at ukay ukay spots I have read here on the Internet. I have been curious on ukay ukay finds that I spent time reading confessions of ukay ukay addicts. I was prepared. I brought my 20 peso bills and coins so that I can haggle. They say you won’t get less on the tags with one thousand and five hundred pesos bills on hand. The only thing is, I look decent in my clothes. Would they give in my bargain? (We just came from an office. Hehe But, that did not stop us from going.)

Our first stop was at Cubao. They say a lot of ukay ukays are located at the Araneta Center. It took us some minutes to find Fashion Delite. As we entered, I felt an air of excitement. The adventure begins. Adrian even grumbled about the smell. It just didn’t mind. It’s tolerable anyway hehe. There are a lot of clothes at the racks. I looked at some and headed to find the bags. I was a little disappointed when I found nothing that interests me. Maybe the good ones were sold and new arrivals have not been made available. We did not linger that much and came across the shop’s neighbor which is Passerby Ukay Ukay. There were a lot of bags hung up. I felt like I have a headache while turning left to right, up and down as I browse through the bags. I saw Esprit, Guess, Gucci, Benetton bags among others. Prices start from 680 and up. I even saw LV’s. I liked the LV bag I saw. It looked like new but I doubted the authenticity. To answer the burning question on mind, I asked the saleslady. She said it was just Class A and the original bags are priced like 12 thousand and more. I was shocked. I thought I can buy an original LV bag at a little cost. (It was only a dream pala hehe) I did not dare look at the clothes from the racks. What I want was a bag, any designer bag that can fit my budget. I asked my Adrian for another try. We took the mrt and went at Iyaman Fashion House at Kamuning. My foot ached upon getting there. Just imagine, from GMA KAmuning Station, we walked just to get to Iyaman, its beside Chowking. It was a walkathon really while the sun was up on us. When we arrived, my spirits were low already. Adrian said chances are, I can’t find what I’m looking for. And yes, he’s right. The only designer bag I saw was LV. Three LV bags were displayed against the glass in front of the store. Prices were 3,800+ pesos. The other bags have no labels. Maybe, again, the good ones were bought already hehe.

I’m a little dismayed I bought nothing. Scoring on ukay ukay shops is like looking for a Yamashita Treasure. It calls for tons of patience. I admire ukay ukay addicts for their relentless hunt for fashion diamonds. Well, this is just the beginning; more ukay ukay experiences will come. I scheduled another ukay adventure next week. I'm looking forward for my first ukay ukay buy. =)

2 comments on "My First Ukay Ukay Experience"

David DeWall on Mon Jan 25, 05:28:00 PM 2010 said...

So ukay ukay is bargain shopping for designer clothes/items? I really liked this story because you made it personal. You have a good style, and I enjoy this type of personal story a lot. Look forward to more entries.

kim on Thu Jun 17, 10:44:00 AM 2010 said...

what an experience! Baguio City is a haven of ukay ukay if you would like to try a great experince thrift shopping...i'm an ukay ukay addict too :))

 

This is so me Copyright 2010Think Pink Credits to Gisele Jaquenod Modified by Alei