Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Basic Polymer Clay Baking Workshop

Posted by Alei at 3/16/2010
I have always been fascinated with designs. I grew up loving art, drawing and coloring. During my school days, my projects consistently mirrored creativity. It’s a natural gift that I w0uld like to hone and utilize. The only problem is where to apply it. Then, the thought of clay baking comes in. Believing it’s the perfect subject to employ my artistic skill, I tagged along Adrian and attended a workshop last Saturday.

Our mentor was Ms. Kathleen Ching of Pumpkin Beads of Multiply. She started the 4-hour introducing the materials used for baking, from polymer clays, acrylic rolling pin, push molds and almost everything basic about polymer clay. I took a shot of them.

Ok, I’ll cut my story short and continue to my favorite part, molding/ designing! Hahaha (what a bias).

Our first take was to make a cookie. Here are the procedures.

As we go on, I learned that the clays vary in their degree of softness. Some were not-so-soft, others were hard that needs clay softener to enable molding. Our next task was an ice cream.

my ice cream

Adrian adding texture to his ice cream.

To ease the molding process, push molds can be used. But, not all your great ideas cannot be depended on the molds. So, you have to rely on your creative hands and ideas to make the designs you wanted.

The designs we made were baked for thirty minutes. Here are the baked goodies/ finished products. The eye pins will serve as attachment for keychains or cellphone charms. The letters were made using the push molds.


More baked clays will be posted in the future. I was thinking of something like "Clay Tuesday" to make room for my baked clays. Who knows? I might be at Multiply, selling these products.

3 comments on "Basic Polymer Clay Baking Workshop"

Manila Girl on Wed Mar 17, 02:23:00 PM 2010 said...

Wow you seem to be a natural at it. :-) Clay Tuesday sounds like a great idea. :-)

Eric : BlogDeManila : Philippine Blog on Wed Mar 17, 04:14:00 PM 2010 said...

I'm curious...how do you bake them? I hope you can post the steps on how to create even just 1 goody. From buying the materials up to the baking part...

hope it's not too much for asking:P

The Fitness Diva on Wed Mar 17, 09:19:00 PM 2010 said...

How cute and creative! I'm the type of person that loves learning to do stuff like that. The results of your first class were excellent! ;)

 

This is so me Copyright 2010Think Pink Credits to Gisele Jaquenod Modified by Alei