Saturday, July 3, 2010

I hate my bank

Posted by Alei at 7/03/2010
This is the first time I am being through a dilemma withmy bank. Before, I have all the reasons to love banks, but now, I have all the reasons to feel the other way around. I thought they find ways. Here is my tale.

I know almost all of us have experienced a fair share of how life is getting tougher especially when relating to money. Cutting back and saving money are what needs to be done. So here it goes, when my father died, he left an amount of money on his savings account. We tried to withdraw it explaining that he died just so it could be used to pay for his hospitalization expenses. They said we can have the money provided that we can present his death certificate and a receipt of the funeral services. The problem is, the hospital won’t it give it out unless we pay our bills. We went back to the bank relaying what the hospital told us.

Irritating right? Just the fact that the gravity of my father’s demise weighing me down left me felt like the whole world turned its back on me. Then, how can they make it any worse?
Helpless and enraged we were, we found another way to deal with the expenses. All we cared about that moment was to settle all that what’s need to be and spend our limited time with our father.

After a month or so, I ask my brother to follow up for our father’s account. With the death certificate and the receipt of funeral services, he went. To his dismay, he was given another set of requirements. It was in two parts. The first part was to be accomplished when the money left on the account is less than $1,087. The second part, which was my nightmare, was to be completed when the money is more than $1,739. My father’s account needed both the two parts to be released.

You see, it was about three months now from the time I started accomplishing the requirements. I was done with the first. It includes a letter of claim, death certificate, affidavit of extra judicial settlement and birth certificates. It was easier than the second. Well, easier is an understatement. Fulfilling the second part is a whole lot of stress. I invested money, time, and patience to get through. I am having problem with the first and the latter. A lot of things have to be done. Pay the taxes, find a way how to retrieve our land certificate, get hold of an affidavit of publication, obtain certificate from the BIR, have the extra judicial settlement registered at the registry of deeds etc.. Only heaven knows how and when all these will be heading. And who knows, I might have spent more than what we can get out off the expenses to have those papers.

How ironic, when we deposit money at the bank, no matter how much, they only ask for valid IDs and that’s it. On the other hand, when withdrawing, they demand relentless requirements. Funny thing though, you save your money at the bank expecting to have an interest even just a single cent. Only to find out, it requires more money for it to be released.

I know our situation is different having our after as the sole account holder. They say it could have been different if it was a joint account. However, is it fair? What if, the money in the account was the only resource we had? As if we have to beg to have our own money. Or would we borrow money from someone without knowing when to give back and if it would be the same amount?

The whole situation is getting on my nerves already. I am more patient than what I give myself credit for. If it not had been for the need of it, I would just drop it. Maybe I am too young to understand the logic behind it. I have my point, they have theirs. It’s just that when money is concerned, everybody seem to be cautious isn't?

3 comments on "I hate my bank"

nurseabie on Mon Jul 05, 07:21:00 PM 2010 said...

It just prove that your bank really don't find ways to help you. I hope you could get the money the soonest Riel.

zh3en22 on Fri Jul 09, 01:54:00 PM 2010 said...

awww, we have the same bank

Riel on Sun Jul 11, 03:52:00 PM 2010 said...

@abie I hope so. I'm doing all that I can to comply with their requirements.

@zh3en22 Too bad for us. I'm considering another bank for my money.

 

This is so me Copyright 2010Think Pink Credits to Gisele Jaquenod Modified by Alei